1. How can the EC Director delegate to other staff members the authority to set Pending Primary for students who transfer into the LEA?
In order to delegate authority for setting pending primary to a user who does not have that authority in their current role, the EC Director may assign additional roles to the user. For example, if the EC Director wishes for a user with School Lead Teacher role to have permission to set Pending Primary, the director may add School Administrator role to the user.
Only one user role at the School level, School Administrator, has permission to set Pending Primary. Users at the School level have access to all records in the assigned school.
Six user roles at the LEA level include permission to set Pending Primary:
- Data Entry Personnel
- EC Administrator
- EC Daily Data Manager
- EC Data Manager
- EC Director
- LEA Reporting User
Users at the LEA level have access to all records in the LEA.
For a complete listing of roles along with their permissions, refer to CECAS Role Descriptions on the CECAS website on the Downloads page under the General Reference Section.
2. What is the procedure for adding Sites?
Only the EC Director role has permissions to add Sites to the Lookup Codes so that they appear in your drop list. To do so, navigate in CECAS to Administration on the left menu tree and perform these steps:
- Click the Lookup Codes link and the Lookup Codes screen appears.
- Click the Site link and the Site Lookup Code screen appears.
- Click the New button and enter all fields for the needed in the Site drop. The description should contain the school name or other information to let you know whether the site is a parochial school, home school, etc. Each LEA makes their own determination of codes and exact information desired in the description. Do not enter anything in Inactive Date unless you need to make the site inactive.
3. Where is student data stored?
CECAS production site data is stored in the secured Eastern Data Center facility operated in Raleigh by the North Carolina Office of Information Technology Services (ITS). The CECAS Quality Assurance and Training environments are hosted by ITS at the Western Data Center site in Forest City. The Western Data Center site also serves as the CECAS recovery site in the event of a disaster. CECAS data is regularly backed up by ITS in all locations.
4. What security precautions are taken to ensure confidentiality of student data?
There are multiple levels of security within CECAS. Security measures include:
|Hardware Level Security||Access to equipment maintaining the data and hosting the application is limited - both physically and through the network. Information is encrypted between CECAS and the user's internet browser.|
|Password Protection||User's have a unique User ID and password to access the system.|
|User Roles and Permissions||Roles are groups of users with specific permissions within the application. Authorized administrators can modify the permissions of users, and grant users access to various portions of the application. These users are grouped by Region, LEA, and School as appropriate to ensure that users have access to only the data they are authorized to see.|
|Audit Trail||Logs provide a complete record of who changes data, as well as when the data changed.|
5. Can teachers work on IEPs and other documents at home on their laptops or home computers?
Yes. CECAS is an internet application that can be accessed from any computer (meeting the minimum standards) that has access to the internet.
6. Who is able to complete forms on the computer?
Anyone with the appropriate permissions is able to complete forms. This is managed at the school level.
7. Will CECAS provide compliance checks and alerts?
Yes. There is an "Upcoming Tasks" report that users can run, and there are various levels of compliance alerts contained within the forms themselves, as well as checks that are done against data in the database when a form is being completed.
8. Can parents access this program online?
No. This application is for use by school and LEA personnel. There is no planned access for parents.
9. Does this system work with a dial-up connection?
While the system is designed to minimize bandwidth requirements, dial up connection is not recommended for optimal system performance. The application is completely functional on a dial-up connection, however.
10. How is CECAS provided to the LEAs? (Web based? Disks?)
CECAS is an internet application, and all that is necessary is an internet connection and computers meeting the System Requirements.
11. Can the Director of Special Education in the LEA control who has access to CECAS?
Yes. Depending on the size of the LEA, directors may want to consider delegating this authority. CECAS can maintain multiple levels of administrators. This allows, for example, directors to specify an administrator for LEA level personnel, the LEA administrator to designate school administrators, and school administrators can set teacher permissions.
12. How much does this cost my district/school?
CECAS provides a statewide data management system at no cost to the LEA.
13. How can I add Assignments to a Provider?
A provider's Assignments in CECAS determine whether the provider's name appears in the drop list for a particular Program/Service in a Plan. A provider can have multiple Assignments. For example, you may want to select the same provider for Daily Living Skills (requires an Assignment of Teaching-Special Education) and for Hearing Impairment Services (requires an Assignment of Hearing Impairment Specialist). Here are the steps to add Assignments to a provider:
- In the Lookup Codes, click on Providers.
- In the Provider Search screen, enter information to search for the specific provider.
- Click on the blue link for the name in the search results.
- On the Provider screen click the arrow in the Type box to display a list of Provider Types. Select the Provider Type that you need for the additional Program/Service, and click save.
- You will be taken back to the Provider Search Screen, where you will see that the Provider Type has been changed.
- Click Assignments to go to the Provider Assignment screen. Click New.
- Select the new Assignment; enter a Begin Date and Approval Type. Click Save.
- You will be taken back to the Provider Assignments screen where the new Assignment has been added to the list of assignments.
- Now this provider will appear in the drop list for the corresponding Program/Service.
- If you still don't see the provider within the plan, check the Provider Employments to be sure the provider has the same LEA/School as the student.
- The Edit button also takes you to the Provider screen where the Type can be changed.
Program/Service by Provider Type in CECAS
|Special Education Program||CECAS Provider Type|
|Adapted Physical Education||Adapted Physical Education Teacher|
|Daily Living Skills||Teacher (Special Education)|
|Hearing Impaired Services||Hearing Impairment Specialist|
|Math||Teacher (Special Education)|
|Occupational Studies||Teacher (Special Education)|
|Other Program||Other Staff|
|Reading/English||Teacher (Special Education)|
|Social Skills||Teacher (Special Education)|
|Special Education||Teacher (Special Education)|
|Special Education Consultation||Teacher (Special Education)|
|Speech/Language Program||Speech/Language Pathologist|
|Study Skills||Teacher (Special Education)|
|Visually Impaired||Visual Impairment Specialist|
|Writing||Teacher (Special Education)|
|Related Services||Provider Type|
|Art Therapy||Art Therapist|
|Assistive Technology||Assistive Technology Specialist|
|Cued Speech Interpreting||Cued Speech Interpreter|
|Music Therapy||Music Therapist|
|Occupational Therapy||Occupational Therapist|
|Oral/Aural Interpreting||Oral/Aural Interpreter|
|Orientation and Mobility||Orientation/Mobility Specialist|
|Other Service||Other Staff|
|Parent Counseling & Training||Counselor|
|Physical Therapy||Physical Therapist|
|Recreational Therapy||Recreational Therapist|
|School Health Services||Other Staff|
|Social Work Services||Social Worker|
|Total Communication Interpreting||Total Communication Interpreter|
|Transportation Services||Transportation Specialist|